Happy birthday to us all!
We have been doing this for a year, wow… we’ve grown and found our groove, delved into some truly wonderful material and connected all over the world. We still have a long way to go, so I have a GIFT for you all, tell you a bit later…
I still believe that at $10 a month for the annual rate it’s the best deal in magic, it really is,
Every month strange things happen here at the MAGIC ON THE GO STUDIO…Here's how it works here, I try to plan each month in advance but as I start researching, writing, learning and filming each month takes on it’s own vibe and draws me in an unexpected direction. This month was a truly powerful experience for me, a lot of love happening in front of these cameras. Maybe our one year anniversary got me thinking about those magicians on whose shoulders we stand: David Nixon, John Scarne, Theo Annemann, John Moehring and more. This month turned into a massive hero appreciation month - more than usual - of those who have given so much to us in the Magic world.
So we start with a routine inspired by John Scarne… yep, close up peeps rejoice as I’m finally tipping my personal all time favorite walk around routine, an act really… I call it Groundhog Day. Groundhog is fast, visual and modular, a sequence of five increasing impossible transpositions of two cards, including an impossible finale and an additional ultra visual sequence based on a routine of Ralph W. Hull’s that you will love! Five methods woven into a killer walk around routine. Oh and the magic happens in the spectators hands. It’s super easy and half of it is practically self working…
1. GROUNDHOG DAY - POWER SWITCH - The Scarne launch point, two cards switch places on the spectators hands. Fast, easy and with a secret bonus video that you will love.
2. GROUNDHOG DAY - TIGHT TRANSPO - My instant follow up, where there’s no room to cheat, they’re burning your hands and yet BAM! The cards change places. It’s fast and visual and it sets you up for-
3. GROUNDHOG DAY - ORGANIC TRANSPO - A little more flourishy and in their face as the two cards switch visually… again! By now the crowd is loving you AND hating you.
4. GROUNDHOG DAY - MODERN TV - My adaptation of Ralph Hull’s favorite card trick… not only does it fit perfectly, and not only is it sleight free, and not only will it have have you scrambling to your magic draw, it is probably the best damn routine you’ll ever see with a WOW! GIMMICK.
And all this leads to the incredible
5. GROUNDHOG DAY - PUNCH TRANSPO - my version of a Peter Duffie effect that is the perfect killer ending and guaranteed to fry their brains.
Seriously, if you don’t get real reactions with this routine… you are performing for zombies, RUN!
Oh, two extra bonus videos on this playlist.
6. GROUNDHOG DAY - TO SIGN OR NOT TO SIGN - Here we discuss and demonstrate how you can do most of the Groundhog Day routine with signed cards.
And as tribute to the great Theo Annemann, another inspiration, I’m teaching what I consider the granddaddy of two card transposition effects:
7. GROUNDHOG DAY - INSTO TRANSPO. I know you’ve seen it in the books, and I know you’ve passed over it, and I know once you see it actually demonstrated, you’re going to do it!
That’s seven videos detailing a complete, visual, commercial card act.
I also have three additions to the DIMINISHING CARD playlist
1. There’s my notes and extra finesse on the brilliant E. G. Brown Diminishing cards. This should make it way easier to handle.
2. A quick extra finesse on the Dusheck version that will help sell that final shrink.
3. As a tribute to the late great John Moehring we will be looking at his handling of the Al Baker diminishing cards. As a teenager I was inspired by John’s book ‘A Texan Trickster’ and I can’t tell you how happy I was to find this routine. John’s handling has some lovely finesses that we will watch, discuss and learn together.
The INTERLUDES playlist has a fast VISUAL BALL THROUGH SILK moment that was a favorite of everyone’s hero, the great Billy McComb.
Finally, there's no Chocolate Box segment this month, because I'm presenting something very special, it’s huge, this is something that took me a year to design, learn, analyze, write, film and edit.
A tribute to my childhood hero David Nixon.
This is a one hour and 20 minute Masterclass on David Nixon and his Card in Cigarette routine. Watch with me as we analyze and dissect David’s all time favorite stand up card routine. See why I truly believe this is the best damn card in cigarette routine in the business, why I think David Nixon was one of the greats, and how we can learn so much from him, even today… especially today.
This is a massive 80 MINUTE teach in. David was my hero as a kid, this was his feature routine, he performed it in every live show, and now we have it broken down and taught it in a masterclass on card magic. Don’t worry if you don’t smoke, you don’t have to with this routine. You can even apply David’s pro techniques to your own work, and learn handling, structure, utilitarian sleights and most importantly, presentation.
WHAT’S THE GIFT DUDE? Last year, I was asked about a certain booklet by a friend and member on MOTG. Well, here it is. It’s rare and as a birthday gift I’d love to give you all a copy. The late Barry Price was a friend of mine back in the 90’s, a wonderful and passionate magician with very specific ideas on sleight of hand. He wrote and self published a booklet called Palming for the Terrified. It’s packed with astute observations, great moves and advice. After I won Close Up Magician of the year, Barry inscribed and gifted me a personal copy, and I’m so happy he did. I’m going to share this with you all, please note, it’s not for sale or resale, they are all watermarked for MOTG.
This is just a thank you to everyone for taking this last year’s journey with me. Most of all I’m excited for you all to read the work of a true underground card expert and to keep his name alive.
Here’s to another great year of miracles on Magic On The Go!